Mission Tejas State Park Headquarters
This new state park visitors center is a three-building complex set in the trees of the East Texas landscape. The park was established in 1934 with a re-creation of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas, the first Spanish mission in Texas, as its centerpiece. A central walkway spine, covered by a translucent trellis structure, connects the three buildings: a restroom and utility building; an exhibition and interpretation space; and the park headquarters with visitors center and offices for park personnel. All three buildings are structural insulated panel (SIP) construction, giving the complex excellent energy efficiency. The buildings are clad in shou sugi ban siding, a Japanese technique which involves charring the face of wood siding to give it improved resistance to deterioration. Work5hop completed construction documents for this project in conjunction with Ford, Powell & Carson.